Writing Sample Requirements
A writing sample is required for students who already show mastery* of the foundations of writing. *Students demonstrating mastery must apply the punctuation, grammar, and the other writing elements for a specific level in all writing without reminders or help from parent or other instructor.
Writing Sample Requirements (include student name and AGE on each sample)
If you feel your student’s punctuation, grammar, sentence development and structure are beyond the beginning classes, please feel free to have your student submit a writing sample following these very strict requirements. Be sure to have your student submit the writing sample as soon as possible.
- The writing sample needs to be something written specifically for this sample, and must be a descriptive (about a place visited) or compare-contrast or cause-effect paragraph (not creative writing) of about 14-16 lines.
- It must be completely the student’s own work, with absolutely no input, help, edits, or suggestions for revisions from the parent or anyone else. In other words – the student’s own draft (most students send it to me without the parent even seeing it).
- Please ensure the spelling and grammar checker is turned off on the word processing program.
- The sample needs to be typed in Microsoft Word, double spaced, size 12 Times New Roman font.
- Again, absolutely no input, help, corrections, or even suggestions for corrections.
Submit a Writing Sample
If you have trouble with the form you may E-mail the sample to email@example.com as an attachment to the e-mail.
The Subject Line of the e-mail must read: Writing Sample – and the student’s first and last name. Within the body of the e-mail, please include the parent name and parent contact e-mail.